Monday, May 26, 2008

Drive Carefully

I headed out early this morning (0700) for my drive back to SLC from Phoenix. It was a beautiful day. I really enjoyed myself for the first several hours. Did you know that the farther north you get, the greener and more beautiful AZ becomes? I had no idea that AZ was so green. It was fantastic! As you get closer to Flagstaff, there are pine trees everywhere and green valleys. I really loved it.
As I got about 40 miles north of Flagstaff, in the middle of nowhere, I came across a two car rollover accident. There was no EMS on the scene yet. I got out of my car to check out if they needed help. I found that there were four other RN's on the scene who happened to be passing by. One car was on its side. There were three fatalities in that car. Let me tell you, even though I have worked in the trauma room it was a difficult thing to see. The driver was alive but was pinned under the car. The other car had five people who were all injured, but were stuck because the car doors wouldn't open. I just went to work talking to the people, and trying to keep them calm. Twenty minutes later, the first police car shows up. We still had no medical help. We had already told 911 that we needed medical helicopters, so when the cop shows up he radios in that fact as well. The helicoptors show up as the fire truck does and they go to work. They had to extricate people from their cars. The one lady was really bad. The lifeflight nurse asked me to put the IV in her. I did not have any gloves so I helped in other ways. An hour and a half later, I was back on the road. I was very thankful for my safety thus far on my trip, and prayed for continued safety. To my friends and family, please be careful on the road. I love you all and want you to be safe.
So, my car was packed to the rim with all of my stuff that I travel with. It was so stuffed, that I had to put Jack in the front seat next to me. He absolutely hated it! A few hours into the drive, he climbed back into the back seat. He was literally stuck!! I do not know how he got back there. There was literally no room, but he managed to squeeze in somewhere. So, I had to pull over and unpack the car to get him out. It was crazy.
This is seriously one of the most beautiful drives I have ever taken. I drove by Grand Canyon, Glen Canyon dam, Lake Powell, Zions, and Bryce Canyon. It was very scenic. I really enjoyed the drive. Very beautiful. But, it is nice to be home.

1 comment:

Emily said...

What a horrible accident! I'm glad you were there to help.

On a lighter note, welcome home!