Saturday, January 19, 2008

Paradise Found!

My Christmas to myself came a little late this year. My friends and I (13 of us) went to Cancun Mexico Jan 11-18th for a much needed retreat from the nasty cold weather in Utah. It could not have come at a better time! It has been in the 5-12 degree range here for a while now.
What a total blast! For me, it was all about relaxation. In all honesty, I layed by the pool or on the beach almost everyday. It was just me, my book, and my ipod. Oh, and a bunch of friends.
On Tuesday, we went snorkeling to a place called Puerto Morelos. It was really cool. I was a little nervous at first trusting a couple young mexican guys to take us out to a reef, but it all worked out ok. We had so much fun. We saw sting rays, turtles, all sorts of fish, and we got a good workout while doing it.
After snorkeling, they had a meal for us. It was one of those tour packages, all you can eat and drink. I don't know why I was so nervous about the whole boat to the reef thing. The meal scared me 10 times more. It's not that it was bad, I just don't trust very many 3rd world countries to cook food the way I do. So, I ate beans and rice. I mean, how wrong can you go with that?
While we were at Puerto Morelos, I was able to get some great pictures of the area. I thought it was a really cool little town. My favorite is the pic of the crooked pier. It must be like that from all the hurricanes they get there. It sure looks funny. I guess it still works. Boats are still tied up to it and people still walk on it.
On Wednesday night, we decided to get all fixed up and go for a night on the town in Playa del Carmen. It was a great night. We went to a fun Mexican restaurant for dinner. Again, I have a hard time trusting the cook, but what can you do? It turned out to be pretty good. While we were eating however, it started to absolutely pour outside. How funny! We had no way of getting out of this without getting soaked!
The rest of the trip was also fantastic. I was basically hanging out by the pool with my diet coke, a great book and the ipod. For me it was the perfect trip. We did a little and rested a lot.

No comments: