Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Pottery Experience

Friday night was so much fun! My roommate Jessie and I went to dinner at this restaurant called Cadillac Ranch. It is a fun BBQ place with crazy loud music. Afterwards, we had a total blast painting pottery. What an experience!! I started out by choosing what I wanted to paint. They had picture frames, vases, platters, plates, chips and salsa platters, large bowls, etc. I chose to paint a vase. Then you have to choose your paint. You know, they shouldn't have so many choices, for people like me who can't make a decision to save her life. It is a hard place to be in. As many of you may know (just by knowing me) or may be able to tell by reading my blog, that I absolutely LOVE the color orange. I chose to paint my vase brown and orange. The only problem with painting pottery, however, is that I am a perfectionist. It is pretty hard to get exactly what you want when you are painting pottery......I mean for me anyway. The pottery shop guy gave me some great tips and I was off and painting. I had to learn to accept imperfection.
Honestly, it was so therapeutic! I had the time of my life. It was very relaxing and peaceful.....except for all the times that I got upset cuz the painting wasn't turning out like I thought it should. I felt truly creative, which is a huge jump for me, considering I have no artistic talent at all.

This is something I definitely plan on doing again. Surprisingly, I found that I was pretty good at it, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. What a totally fabulous way to spend a Friday night. I mean, I guess if I am not going to have a date, I might as well have a total blast!

The picture of me painting my pottery came from my cell phone. I thought it would be nice to have photographic proof of my work.

No comments: